Date Posted: Mar 22, 2017
Application Deadline: Mar 31, 2017
Start Date: Apr 10, 2017
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Region: Metro Toronto Area
Dance Umbrella of Ontario
The Dance Umbrella of Ontario/DUO, is one of Canada’s leading arts management organizations for professional dance creators and small-scale dance companies.
Festival Volunteer Coordinator, Subtle Technologies (Toronto)
For 20 years, Subtle Technologies has served as a platform for sharing new ideas at the intersection of art, science and technology. Through our annual festival and year-round programming, we incubate the next generation of artists and thinkers who are passionate about the overlap of art and science, showcase Canadian creativity and promote projects generated by those encounters. The 20th edition of the festival will take place from May 10th to June 25th, 2017 (more info on subtletechnologies.com)
We are currently accepting applications for the position of Festival Volunteer Coordinator. Under contract with Dance Umbrella of Ontario (DUO), the Festival Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for recruiting and coordinating all festival volunteers and provides additional production coordination support. The Festival Volunteer Coordinator reports directly to DUO and to Subtle Technologies’ Artistic Director.
The successful candidate will have a working knowledge of arts festivals. S/he will possess firsthand experience in managing volunteers and production coordination.
DESIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
• 2+ years experience in project management and volunteer coordination
• Proficiency in a Mac environment
• Cordial and effective communication skills
• Experience working with the public
• Strong problem solving skills
• Self starter and able to work in a team environment
• Proven ability to prioritize and manage simultaneous tasks
• Strong written and verbal communication
• Prior experience in production coordination is a plus.
• Coordinate and disseminate call for volunteers to multiple organizations across multiple platforms/channels
• Recruit a minimum of 25 volunteers for various roles for the duration of the festival
• Confirm volunteers and communicate their times and expectations at regular intervals
• Prepare and disseminate a volunteer package (short description of festival programming; tasks and responsibilities for each position)
• On-site at various locations for the duration of the festival to manage volunteers and event
• Maintain and update shift volunteer schedules throughout the event
• Other duties as required
Other festival coordination
• Installation of the opening reception (May 10)
• Attend all meetings as required
• In close collaboration with the Festival Director, purchase necessary supplies for workshops
• Compile and print guest lists and disseminate as required
• Assemble festival and press passes
• Other duties as required
➢ Start date: April 10th, 2017
➢ End date: June 27th, 2017
➢ Prep time prior to the festival is estimated at 8 hours per week until festival opening event May 10th
➢ Must attend all festival events and workshops. Working hours during the Festival, require flexibility. A detailed schedule will be provided to the successful applicant.
➢ Flat fee commensurate with experience
➢ A desk will be provided at DUO for the preparation periods in April and May and during the festival.
➢ The contractor is required to have a fully functioning personal laptop and cell phone.
How to Apply:
Please send an up-to-date CV and letter of interest in MS Word or PDF format to email@example.com. Include “Volunteer Coordinator 2017” in the subject line. No phone calls will be accepted when applying for this position.
Application deadline: March 31st, 2017
While we appreciate all interest in the position, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. DUO is an equal-opportunities employer.
Name: Caroline Caire